Thursday, 27 February 2014

Yucky Vine Weevils

A couple of you have mentioned that you luckily have never had any. I wish I didn't. It all started a good few years ago when one of my Rhododendrons went limp, well at first I thought it needed watering, then I tried feeding but no success. Then I was watching Alan Titmarsh (love him) on Gardeners World & he started telling us all about Vine Weevil, penny dropped & I was straight outside emptying out the pot & yes there was no roots left at all & loads of little grubs all fat. I didn't manage to save it but I did go out the very next day & bought some killer.

So for those of you who haven't seen any, I found some more :(


Now the grub on the left is a nice fat one, but on the right is a casing from one that has become an adult, so I know know they are on the loose. Not very happy.

6 comments:

  1. Birds love them as a snack when you turf the soil out of the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that the nematodes marketed under the name "Nemasys" are a very effective means of control. All the big Seed Merchants and Gardening Supplies companies sell them. Expensive, but worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, fat little things aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nasty little things. I've had caterpillar problems and hope i won't have vine weevil but one never knows what little creepy crawlies will be on the horizon. Good luck with controlling them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sue, great bird food, ha! but I am so sorry that you have these- at least with a bug on the leaf you can see it, these it seems like they are hidden until you uproot the plant. How do you take care of something like this?

    ReplyDelete