Sunday, 2 February 2014

Weather

The one thing us Brits love to complain about is our weather. It has rained here so much that we have had floods & the ground is so wet it's like a mire. Luckily I live on a bit of a hill so the floods haven't taken over mine but just a little way down the road people have had to evacuate. To be honest I don't know what they were thinking of buying a house on the flood plain but then they do look lovely with the river running alongside (converted mill). The only thing that would make me buy a mill was if I converted the wheel to produce free electricity, but then you live with the knowledge it may flood & take precautions.

Anyway, today has been lovely, a bit chilly but sunny & not windy. I got on with building the baby changing table I got on Freecycle to use as a potting bench. It was a bit bigger than I anticipated but I got it done & it is lovely. In fact it is perfect, so if any of you are thinking of getting a new potting bench have a look for a baby changing table first. The only alteration I made to it was to take out the clips that hold the top in place, this is so I can remove it to tip any rubbish onto the compost heap easily.

I also bought myself a new camera, well it's second hand, the only problem is it didn't have a lead to download to the computer or charge it. So I have ordered one online & hopefully it will be here in a few days.

My garlic has been planted into cells, so have my onions, they are both already growing. I can't plant them out yet as I haven't decided what is going into what bed. I also want to change the layout of the garden so I have a bigger growing space.

It's already February & I can't wait for spring. I already have all my seeds & I'm now saving up my toilet roll inners for my runner beans. I also found some Calabrese that has survived, small head but very tasty.

We have more rain forecast for this week. Hope the weather is good to you wherever you are.

4 comments:

  1. We certainly shouldn't eb in for any hosepipe bans this year. Love your idea of a changing table for a potting bench....will keep this in mind for the future!!

    I really need to be thinking about getting my seeds sorted so i know what I have and what I need...might get me into the spirit of gardening...I will soon think about sowing to get things started...Must get my son to start saving some papers for me as I don't use tubes but have a paper potter. It takes time but I find it quite relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the baby-changing table being put to use as a potting-bench. Last year I was given a potting bench kit by a "well-known maor supplier of household goods" so that I could review it for them. It was a nightmare! Missing parts; no instructions provided; bits that didn't fit, etc. A re-cycled table would have been very welcome at that point. Oh, and the kit would have cost about £155 to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't understand how planning permission is given to build on a flood plain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the table for a potting bench!!! decided to try and start some things with seeds I.e.-Steve's apple peppers he loves, saved some seeds from last year, nursery plant- will be a challenge, do you have any ideas for a small greenhouse/seed starter container? you are so resourceful- :)

    ReplyDelete