Thursday, 20 February 2014

Oooo, sun, oh rain!

It's been a bit of a funny day today. It started off with rain but by the afternoon the sun came out & shone beautifully. I literally ran out into the garden, I was not going to waste it although I was in the greenhouse (it's still a bit chilly). And it was a very good job I did.

Disaster...... I have an infestation of Vine Weevil larvae. I only found it as I was top dressing some of my overwintering pots. So I have spent the afternoon brushing & washing all the roots of my important plants & repotting in the hopes I can save them.
I should have known this would happen. For all the rest of the plants I have used a chemical killer (sorry all you organic gardeners). I can't risk any of them having grubs hiding in their pots as I have my Rhododendrons to think about. Then I will get some moth balls & put them in the pots to help keep adult's away.

On a better note I finally got the lead for my camera in the post. I still have a long way to go before I know how to use it properly but I have found some of the settings, especially the close-up focus.

Camelia flowering

Snowdrops

Greenhouse (baby changing table on left)

Still harvesting carrots

Onions/garlic in cells & strawberries
   I feel a bit better after getting outside. I think we will all be happier when Spring arrives.

10 comments:

  1. When we have had vine weevil grubs in the past they have made good supplementary food for the birds,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the Vine Weevil larvae. What do they look like? I don't think I would recognise one if I saw it. The bug-killers from Nemasys are pretty good, and they have one for Vine Weevils, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other way round for me, sunshine then ended with a spot of rain. Bad luck with the vine weevils, I've managed to get through so far without being affected. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never come across vine weevils, hope all your plants are ok. I still haven't done anything outside...might go out and pick stones in a little while...glad your camera lead arrived, I never bother with mine and always use a card reader!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera has a built in battery so I needed it to charge. It's a good camera so far.

      Delete
  5. Its great your still harvesting carrots. I adore snowdrops, they are super plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nuisance with the vine weevils! Don't think I've ever encountered one. Hoping that your actions helped though. At least the day ended with some sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful camelia-! nice camera too :) i love the baby table idea and it looks great I am planning on using that idea in the colorado greenhouse, thank you. i agree with you, sometimes you have just got to pull out the big guns and nabbed those pesky pest asap! i can' t believe you still have carrots. due to your inspirations i am going to try some pot gardening this year, wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncanny! only yesterday i was denouncing the threat of vine weevils as scare-mongering, because I'd never heard of anyone having problems with them!

    Hope you've killed them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish, the only problem is once you have them you can never get rid of them all.

      Delete